What are the basic chords in the key of G major? We will find out here. We will take a look at the basic triads and four note extended chords of this key.
First of all, let’s take a look at the G major scale. The notes of this scale are G A B C D E F#. Each chord is constructed with one of these notes as its root.
For this key and any other major key, each chord follows a pattern. This pattern is Major Minor Minor Major Major Minor Diminished.
The triad chords in the key of G major are G major, A minor, B minor, C major, D major, E minor, and F# diminished. When you add sevenths you end up with the four note chords, G major seventh, A minor seventh, B minor seventh, C major seventh, D dominant seventh, E minor seventh, and F# minor seventh flat five.
Roman numerals are used to represent each chord. For the major chords, the numerals are capitalized, while the minor and diminished chords are all in lower case.
- I – G major, G major seventh (Gmaj, Gmaj7)
- ii – A minor, A minor seventh (Am, Am7)
- iii – B minor, B minor seventh (Bm, Bm7)
- IV – C major, C major seventh (C, Cmaj 7)
- V – D major, D dominant seventh (D, D7)
- vi – E minor, E minor seventh (Em, Em7)
- vii° – F# diminished, F# minor seventh flat five (F#°, F#m7b5)
To learn more about chords by key (what chords are in what key and why), check out my book, .
Piano Chords In The Key Of G Major
Here’s a diagram showing basic chords in G major.
So what are the notes of these triad and four note chords?
- Chord I, G major consists of the notes, G – B – D, while G major seventh consists of the notes, G – B – D – F#.
- Chord ii, A minor consists of the notes, A – C – E. A minor seventh consists of the notes, A – C – E – G.
- Chord iii, B minor contains the notes, B – D – F#. B minor seventh contains the notes, B – D – F# – A.
- Chord IV, C major contains the notes, C – E – G. C major seventh contains the notes, C – E – G – B.
- Chord V, D major contains the notes, D – F# – A. D dominant seventh contains the notes, D – F# – A – C.
- Chord vi, E minor consists of the notes, E – G – B. E minor seventh consists of the note, E – G – B – D.
- Lastly, chord vii°, F# diminished consists of the notes, F# – A – C, while F# minor seventh flat five consists of the notes, F# – A – C – E.
Chord Progressions in the Key of G
- I – IV – V (G – C- D)
- I – vi – IV – V (G – Em – C – D)
- ii – V – I (Am7 – D7 – Gmaj7)
Here’s a diagram showing the G major scale on the piano keyboard.
Be sure to . It’s my favorite online course for learning how to play piano.