What are the chords in the key of F minor? We shall list triad chords and four note extended chords below in the key of F min. Roman numerals indicate each chord’s position relative to the scale.
The notes of the F minor natural scale are: F G Ab Bb C Db Eb
To learn more about chords, the key they’re in and why, check out my book, .
Chords in natural minor keys follow the pattern, minor diminished major minor minor major major.
- i – F minor, F minor seventh (Fmin, Fmin7)
- iidim – G diminished, G minor seventh flat five (Gdim, Gm7b5)
- III – Ab major, Ab major seventh (Abmaj, Abmaj7)
- iv – Bb minor, Bb minor seventh (Bbmin, Bbmin7)
- v – C minor, C minor seventh (Cmin, Cmin7)
- VI – Db major, Db major seventh (Dbmaj, Dbmaj7)
- VII – Eb major, Eb dominant seventh (Ebmaj, Eb7)
Piano Chords In The Key Of F Minor
Let’s now take a look at common chord progressions in the key of F minor natural. They are as follows:
- i – VI – VII (Fm – Db – Eb)
- i – iv – VII (Fm – Bbm – Eb)
- i – iv – v (Fm – Bbm – Cm)
- i – VI – III – VII (Fm – Db – Ab – Eb)
- ii – v – i (Gm7b5 – Cm – Fm)
Notes Of All The Chords In The key of F Minor
Let’s start with the triads.
- i – F minor: F – Ab – C
- iidim – G diminished: G – Bb – Db
- III – A flat major: Ab – C – Eb
- iv – B flat minor: Bb – Db – F
- v – C minor: C – Eb – G
- VI – D flat major: Db – F – Ab
- VII – E flat major: Eb – G – Bb
And now, the four note chords.
- i – F minor seventh: F – Ab – C – Eb
- iidim – G minor seventh flat five: G – Bb – Db – F
- III – Ab major seventh: Ab – C – Eb – G
- iv – Bb minor seventh: Bb – Db – F – Ab
- v – C minor seventh: C – Eb – G – Bb
- VI – Db major seventh: Db – F – Ab – C
- VII – Eb dominant seventh: Eb – G – Bb – Db
Diagrams of the F minor key signature and the notes of the F natural minor scale. There are four flats in the Fmin scale, namely, Ab, Bb, Db and Eb.
Diagram of the F minor scale on piano keyboard.
Be sure to check out the Piano For All piano lessons. It’s my favorite online course for learning how to play piano.