What are the chords in the key of C minor? We shall list triad chords and four note extended chords below in the key of C min. Roman numerals indicate each chord’s position relative to the scale.
The notes of the C minor natural scale are: C D Eb F G Ab Bb
Chords in natural minor keys follow the pattern, minor diminished major minor minor major major.
- i – C minor, C minor seventh (Cmin, Cmin7)
- iidim – D diminished, D minor seventh flat five (Ddim, Dm7b5)
- III – E flat major, E flat major seventh (Ebmaj, Ebmaj7)
- iv – F minor, F minor seventh (Fmin, Fmin7)
- v – G minor, G minor seventh (Gmin, Gmin7)
- VI – A flat major, A flat major seventh (Abmaj, Abmaj7)
- VII – B flat major, B flat dominant seventh (Bbmaj, Bb7)
Piano Chords In The Key Of C Minor
The following piano key chord chart shows all the triads in C minor as well as four note extended chords.
Let’s now take a look at common chord progressions in the key of C minor natural. They are as follows:
- i – VI – VII (Cm – Ab – Bb)
- i – iv – VII (Cm – Fm – Bb)
- i – iv – v (Cm – Fm – Gm)
- i – VI – III – VII (Cm – Ab – Eb – Bb)
- ii – v – i (Dm7b5 – Gm – Cm)
Notes Of All The Chords In The key of C Minor
Let’s start with the triads
- i – C minor: C – Eb – G
- iidim – D diminished: D – F – Ab
- III – E flat major: Eb – G – Bb
- iv – F minor: F – Ab – C
- v – G minor: G – Bb – D
- VI – A flat major: Ab – C – Eb
- VII – B flat major: Bb – D – F
And now, the four note chords
- i – C minor seventh: C – Eb – G – Bb
- iidim – D minor seventh flat five: D – F – Ab – C
- III – E flat major seventh: Eb – G – Bb – D
- iv – F minor seventh: F – Ab – C – Eb
- v – G minor seventh: G – Bb – D – F
- VI – A flat major seventh: Ab – C – Eb – G
- VII – B flat dominant seventh: Bb – D – F – Ab
Diagrams of the C minor key signature and the notes of the C natural minor scale. There are three flats in the Cmin scale.
Diagram of the C minor scale on piano keyboard.
Be sure to check out the Piano For All piano lessons. It’s my favorite online course for learning how to play piano.